Monday, February 7, 2011

My Second Day of Kindergarten, draft 2

I have made some changes to this story. See if you like it better. I want to send it to a magazine, so let me know what I can change to make it better.

Thanks, Kayla

"Daddy I'm scared to go to kindergarten." I grabbed Daddy's hand tightly and squeezed it to my heart.

Daddy said, "You'll get used to that! Now let's get going."

On the way to school I jumped excitedly. Just then we walked across the street and we saw the playground. I jumped up and down. I grabbed Daddy's hand and ran.

"I'm so excited for the monkey bars!" I climbed up the ladder. I put my hands on the bar in the front. Then I swung and reached to the second bar. I swung again and reached and slipped. My hands stung.

Daddy gave me a hug of comfort. "Do you want to learn how to do the monkey bars?"

I said, "Yes."

"Then set a goal on it. Practice every day. When you get good at it, I will come and see."

"OK," I said. Then I went to play on something else.

DDDRRRIIIINNNGGG!!!! My heart jumped into my throat! I couldn't say anything.

"Come on," Daddy said. "It's time to line up."

I took a deep breath. "Daaaadddy," I said in a scared voice. "Daddy, are you coming with me in to class like you did yesterday?"

"No Sweetheart. I can't stay. Yesterday was a special day. It was your first day, so I got to stay the whole day. Today you have to learn how to be in school by yourself."

I put my head down. My eyes filled up with tears. "DADDY," I cried. "I'm sssoooo ssccaarreed. I don't know anyone at school." I held onto Daddy's hand like leaves and branches in the fall.

"Remember that you wrote a note to Ms. Brennan."

"Oh yeah, I wrote a note. I'm going to give it to her."

Just then Ms. Brennan came out. “Hhheeelllloooo,” I said and gave her the note. She said, "Kayla, are you scared?"

"Yes," I said.

She gave me a big hug. "We are going to have a great day."

I got in line behind a girl with long hair. "I like your backpack," she said.

"My name is Kayla. What's your name?"

"My name is Katarina," she said.

I looked around. I saw that I was making a new friend. I also saw my nice, loving teacher. I smiled as we walked into the classroom. Then Daddy said, "You will have a great day."

. . . And I did!

1 comment:

  1. From Rebecca. I like your stories because you put so much detail in them. I also like how they're so good. One question. Can you make a funny story? I would also like to go to your house.

    ReplyDelete